Chattahoochee Woodturners Training Scholarship Program

Chattahoochee Woodturners offers financial scholarships to its members based on the following guidelines:

Scholarship Purposes: Scholarships are for hands-on woodturning training from any woodturning instructor or school approved by the board of directors or their appointed committee. Specifically excluded are symposia and non-hands-on demonstrations.

Eligibility: Applicant must have been a member in good standing of Chattahoochee Woodturners for at least twelve (12) consecutive months preceding their request for scholarship, AND must also be a member in good standing of the American Association of Woodturners, AAW. Members who receive a scholarship must wait twelve months from completing their training before applying for another one. Scholarships are not transferrable to anyone else.

Scholarship Amount: The CWT board of directors will determine each year how much money will be allocated to scholarships that year based on assets in the scholarship fund. For 2018, that amount will be $1,000.00. The maximum scholarship for any one member will be $250.00 in a twelve month period.

How to Apply: Eligible members may apply by submitting a completed application form to the board Scholarship Chairman (Jerry Chandler) at least sixty (60) days prior to the start date of the instruction. This form must include the following information:

  • Name of the CWT member making the request
  • Amount requested up to $250
  • What aspect(s) of woodturning will be covered
  • Name and contact information of the instructor or school
  • Date the training will start and how long it will last
  • Goal(s) the member wants to accomplish through this training

The Scholarship Chairman and/or committee will review the application and make a decision within two weeks unless additional information is needed. Their decision will be final.

Payment of Scholarship Funds: The Scholarship Committee will pay the member 80% of the approved scholarship amount at the time the request is approved. The remaining 20% will be paid upon receipt and acceptance of the member’s report on the completed training event. If the timing of the event changes, the board must be notified. If the member cancels his/her plans, the money must be returned to the board immediately. A new application may then be made for another training event if the member so chooses.

Report on Completed Training Event: Members attending scholarship training must submit a brief, one page written report of that experience within one month of completion. This report should include the name of the instructor(s), the subject(s), and how the member benefited from the experience. The purpose of this is not only to meet the requirement for receiving the final 20% of the scholarship, but also to assist other members in determining whether this might be a beneficial program for them to consider attending.